[bioontology-support] Mosquito insecticide resistance ontology and GAZ

Dawn Field dfield at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 16:24:35 PDT 2009

yes, I like the 'big picture' ideas that were emerging from our conversations...sort of a metaanalysis of an entire collection of ontologies - both for governance support  and in some ways even a metric of the collection as a whole...

for example, overlap in terms (as a percentage of the total terms) gives an idea of the relatedness of ontologies and the work needed to make them fully orthogonal

numbers of imports would tell how influential particular ontologies are in a collection

other metrics could be the same as for a single ontology, just summed over the whole collection, like:

total ontologies
total terms
total definitions
total synonyms
total relationships

etc

Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics Group
Director, NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

CEH Oxford
Mansfield Rd
Oxford OX1 3SR
UK

Tel : 01865 281630
Fax: 01865 281696
>>> "Trish Whetzel" <whetzel at stanford.edu> 04/03/09 11:55 PM >>>
Not as an endpoint that can be queried directly, but it sounds like that
relates in part to the Venn diagram idea.

Trish