[bioontology-support] 'Most active ontologies'

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 5 02:41:18 PDT 2009

> Am I right in thinking that 'Most Active Ontologies' on bioportal in
> fact means: 'Ontologies with large numbers of mappings'? If so, can
> it be re-named, and complemented by a table showing 'Ontologies most
> accessed on BioPortal'?

Activity can be based on many parameters: mappings, notes added, links
to projects, access, downloads, etc. There have been other requests to
include additional parameters as a measure of 'activity' and display
this information on the site. Based on adding new features, behind the
scenes, we are able to quantitate ontology access for a given time
period based on the number of times the ontology was viewed,
downloaded etc. Are there other metrics that you would suggest to
include as a measure of activity in addition to viewing and
downloading? For example, links to Projects listed in BioPortal?

> If I go to the FMA page
> http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/39966
> and enter 'blood' in the 'Jump to' box, I get the response
> 'Concept could not be found..'
> Yet 'blood' is to be found in the FMA, even if only in the context
> 'portion of blood'
> I would much prefer an exact string search, rather than the (for
> other reasons also problematic) concept search labelled unhelpfully
> as 'Jump to'.

I'm not quite sure I understand the issue. When I go to FMA and type
in blood in the Jump To box, there are a variety of terms that are
displayed, portion of blood is one of the terms displayed. This term
can then be selected and after hitting 'Go' the tree is opened to that
term (see attached).