[bioontology-support] 'Most active ontologies'

Barry Smith phismith at buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 5 05:30:46 PDT 2009

At 05:41 AM 8/5/2009, you wrote:
>>Am I right in thinking that 'Most Active Ontologies' on bioportal in
>>fact means: 'Ontologies with large numbers of mappings'? If so, can
>>it be re-named, and complemented by a table showing 'Ontologies most
>>accessed on BioPortal'?
>
>Activity can be based on many parameters: mappings,

only if they are done by people on the outside;
the DO mappings were all created ab initio by the DO developers, and
would be there even if the DO was entirely inactive both on the
developer and on the user sides

>notes added, links
>to projects, access, downloads, etc. There have been other requests to
>include additional parameters as a measure of 'activity' and display
>this information on the site. Based on adding new features, behind the
>scenes, we are able to quantitate ontology access for a given time
>period based on the number of times the ontology was viewed,
>downloaded etc. Are there other metrics that you would suggest to
>include as a measure of activity in addition to viewing and
>downloading? For example, links to Projects listed in BioPortal?

I think some combination measure derived from access/view/download
would be useful.
Another measure is: number of terms imported by other ontologies
(this one is probably for the future)

>>If I go to the FMA page
>>http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/39966
>>and enter 'blood' in the 'Jump to' box, I get the response
>>'Concept could not be found..'
>>Yet 'blood' is to be found in the FMA, even if only in the context
>>'portion of blood'
>>I would much prefer an exact string search, rather than the (for
>>other reasons also problematic) concept search labelled unhelpfully
>>as 'Jump to'.
>
>I'm not quite sure I understand the issue. When I go to FMA and type
>in blood in the Jump To box, there are a variety of terms that are
>displayed, portion of blood is one of the terms displayed. This term
>can then be selected and after hitting 'Go' the tree is opened to that
>term (see attached).

could be an artifact of my incompetence, but when I do this I get the
result pictured in the attached. On the other hand when I enter
'portion of blood' I get the results your attachment displays.
BS