[bioontology-support] 'Most active ontologies'

Natasha Noy noy at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 5 13:41:49 PDT 2009

Dear Barry,

>> Activity can be based on many parameters: mappings,
>
> only if they are done by people on the outside;
> the DO mappings were all created ab initio by the DO developers, and
> would be there even if the DO was entirely inactive both on the
> developer and on the user sides

I think there are different metrics of activity, and this is one of
them. That said, I really like your idea of indicating which
ontologies are accessed most frequently. We need to brainstorm on our
side to see if we can get this metric easily, but hopefully we can. It
would certainly be a very useful metric to show.

However, if someone for example is annotative thousands of abstracts
using their own ontology, those service calls will all be counted and
that ontology will appear as the most active. Thus, the number of
times an ontology was accessed is also not a perfect indicator. We'll
need to figure out ways to normalize this (unique IPs?). Any
suggestions would be welcome.

> I think some combination measure derived from access/view/download
> would be useful.
> Another measure is: number of terms imported by other ontologies
> (this one is probably for the future)

Definitely useful, but definitely for the future. We currently don't
have those imports links explicitly linking BioPortal ontologies.

>> I'm not quite sure I understand the issue. When I go to FMA and type
>> in blood in the Jump To box, there are a variety of terms that are
>> displayed, portion of blood is one of the terms displayed. This term
>> can then be selected and after hitting 'Go' the tree is opened to
>> that
>> term (see attached).
>
> could be an artifact of my incompetence, but when I do this I get
> the result pictured in the attached. On the other hand when I enter
> 'portion of blood' I get the results your attachment displays.

An artifact of you being too fast! If you type "blood" and hit return
before it came back with the pull down list, you get that error. If
you let it sit for a second, you will get the list of choices.

Natasha