[bioontology-support] BioPortal web services

Natasha Noy noy at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 11 22:07:13 PDT 2009

Hi Todd,

When you retrieve the list of ontologies using
http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/ontologies
you get metadata for each ontology in the list. So, you can go through
the list of ontologies that gets returned, and look at the format
field. That will tell you whether it is OWL or not -- no need for
subsequent calls.

For example, here is a short snippet form the XML returned from the
service above:
<ontologyBean>
<id>40133</id>
<ontologyId>1290</ontologyId>
<displayLabel>ABA Adult Mouse Brain</displayLabel>
<description>Allen Brain Atlas P56 Mouse Ontology</description>
<abbreviation>ABA</abbreviation>
<format>OWL</format>
<internalVersionNumber>1</internalVersionNumber>

We don't have a service that will return you only the OWL ontologies
-- you need to iterate through the list returned by the service above.

I hope this answers your question.

Natasha