[bioontology-support] BioPortal metadata ontolgy

Natasha Noy noy at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 11 22:10:36 PDT 2009

> Under the hood, does BioPortal populate the BioPortalMetadata
> ontology with actual instances of ontologies (their metadata I mean)?

Yes. Go to
http://bmir-protege-dev1.stanford.edu/webprotege/
and select "BioPortal Metadata Ontology". Once there, select the
Individuals tab and the OMV:Ontology class for a sample of instances.

> If so, can you query the service for a copy of the ontology,
> complete with instances (for custom processing not supported by the
> api)?

no, sorry :( We haven't yet figured out a clean way to do it.

> I have a copy of the metadata ontology, but it doesn't have any
> instances of classes ontology or ontology view (for example).

Yes, you'll have to use the public rest services to get to  that
information. Once we have the release with the views (last week of
August), there will be services similar to the service in your
previous email that would get you to the information about the views.

Why do you feel you need direct access to all the instances? Is there
some additional functionality that maybe we can expose to you through
services?

Natasha