[bioontology-support] Software Ontology (SVN pull)

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:46:13 PST 2009

Hi Trish/James,

First, I'd like to clarify that the current production version of
BioPortal only supports CVS based ontology auto-pull.  Our next release,
due in production in about ten days, does introduce support for SVN
repositories.

Below are the artifacts we will need for including the repository into our
automatic pull:

1. SVN Access URL with the full path to the ontology file location
2. Username/password (if any)
3. Full path (in the repository) to a text file that stores ontology
metadata in the following format (also, see the attached sample):

id	caro
title	Common Anatomy Reference Ontology
namespace	CARO
foundry	Yes
status	Discussion and review
download
http://obo.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/obo/obo/ontology/anatomy/caro/ca
ro.obo
source
home	CARO Wiki|http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/CARO:Main_Page
documentation
contact	Melissa Haendel	obo-anatomy	lists.sourceforge.net
format	obo
description	The Common Anatomy Reference Ontology (CARO) is being
developed to facilitate interoperability between existing anatomy
ontologies for different species, and will provide a template for building
new anatomy ontologies. CARO will be described in Anatomy Ontologies for
Bioinformatics: Principles and Practice Albert Burger, Duncan Davidson and
Richard Baldock (Editors)
relevant_organism	all
subtypes_of	bfo:IndependentContinuant
domain	anatomy
patho_type	canonical
granularity	organismal

I recommend pasting this snippet into an editor that lets you view the
tabs, spaces and line breaks so you can distinguish between the various
delimiters used in the file.  These are important for proper parsing of
the values on our end.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Misha