[bioontology-support] UMLS REST Service Access Request

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 10 12:55:27 PST 2009

Hi Steven,

The UMLS REST services based on the UMLS metathesaurus will be
discontinued and are replaced with the BioPortal REST services: http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_REST_services
. The main differences are that the BioPortal REST services access the
individual terminology and that queries by AUI are not supported. In
order to traverse the hierarchy by CUI, the hierarchy services can be
used as listed here: http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_REST_services#Hierarchy_Services
.  Does your use case require query by AUI?

If there are UMLS terminologies that you would like to access, but do
not see in BioPortal (http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/ontologies?email=example@example.org
), please request that they be loaded.

Best regards,
Trish

On Dec 10, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Steven Bedrick wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I'd love to try out the NCBO UMLS REST service and see how it
> compares to my homebrew UMLS REST service. :-) My information, as
> per the web page, is as follows:
>
>   1. Organization: Oregon Health and Science University
>   2. Department: Department of Biomedical Informatics & Clinical
> Epidemiology
>   3. Area of interest: Cross-language information retrieval, image
> retrieval
>   4. What kind of research where the REST services will be applied:
> Query processing, corpus annotation
>   5. How did you learned about the UMLS REST Services: Browsing the
> NCBO site
>   6. Do you have an active valid UMLS license: Yes. My license code
> is 10630A283
>
> Thanks!
>
> -SB

Trish Whetzel, PhD