[bioontology-support] UMLS REST Service Access Request

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 10 18:12:25 PST 2009

> So, how would I use the BioPortal REST API to find terms for a
> particular CUI from several vocabularies at once? Would I use the
> "get siblings" queries, or is there a better way?

Actually, in that case you can use the Search service and limit to all
UMLS ontologies and add the parameter 'includeproperties=1'. The CUI
is stored within the property so the search will find it.

For example,  http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/C0581384/?ontologyids=1353&includeproperties=1&email=example@example.org
.
-1353 represents the ontology id
-the email parameter is added as a tag for record keeping
**Please subscribe to the BioPortal Announce mailing list (https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/bioportal-announce
) to stay informed about any changes to the web services. There are
none planned at this point for the services mentioned here.

To find the ontology ids in the UMLS group, you can call the 'List
latest version of all ontologies' and keep the ontology ids for the
ones with a group id that matches the group id for UMLS based on the
output from the 'List all ontology groups' service.