[bioontology-support] UMLS REST Service Access Request - feedback

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 14 11:38:32 PST 2009

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your note. We do not need the specifics, however the
prototype UMLS web services that access the UMLS metathesaurus via
NetKernal are being replaced with access to the individual UMLS
terminologies via the production-level BioPortal web services: http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_REST_services
.

The main differences for UMLS terminologies are that the BioPortal web
services do not support query by AUI and the hierarchy is based on the
structure of the individual terminology. One can traverse the
hierarchy of UMLS terminologies by using the BioPortal Hierarchy web
services and making a replacement for ontology version id with SAB and
term id with CUI. Also, to find all terms with a given CUI, the search
service can be used adding in the parameter "includeproperties".

If there are additional UMLS terminologies that you would like to
access and do not see listed in BioPortal, please request that they be
loaded.

Best regards,
Trish

On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Ben Adida wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd love to access the UMLS REST service, since the SOAP service
> seems quite flaky and complex. This is for Children's Hospital
> Boston's work on the Indivo Personally Controlled Health Record. I
> found out about your service from a colleague at Children's
> Hospital / Harvard Medical School, and I already have a UMLS license
> (do you need the specifics?)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ben Adida
> ben.adida at childrens.harvard.edu