[bioontology-support] [Obo-unit] Proposal to change UO to a representation of instances

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 14:13:39 PST 2009

On Thursday, December 24, 2009, Trish Whetzel <whetzel at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Yes, that is a known issue. Just to clarify, is presenting the value for the id field as OBI_000046, without the prefix ok?

No, I don't think so. There is one ID OBI defines for the term, and
that is the URI. Abbreviations for it are acceptable as long as the
abbreviation mechanism is well defined, as is the case in all the RDF
serializations. There are also abbreviation mechanisms available in
XML. For OBO format there is a policy and documentation being drafted
it, but this isn't OBO format.

Why don't you use XML entities if you want to abbreviate?

-Alan