[bioontology-support] Request/Query

Eamonn Maguire maguire at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 11:48:07 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I sent an email to Trish, but she still hasn't replied yet (i think
she is on holiday anyway??) and I'm in a bit of a rush in terms of
getting something implemented for the use case i have identified
below. i'd be very grateful if you could help with this matter!

We want to be able to not only specify recommended ontologies via the
configuration tool, but also where in the ontology tree the terms
should come from. For example in EFO you would have the following path
in the ontology:

- experimental factor
	- information entity
		- protocol
			| clinical treatment
			| extraction protocol
			+ study design

(where - denotes an expanded tree and + denotes a branch which is not
expanded :o) )

how could i go about performing a query say on EFO, but only on terms
appearing in the 'protocol' branch within BioPortal.

The thing is, i know i can do this programmatically by getting all the
terms under protocol branch and then filtering the data out through a
simple algorithm, but i wanted to ask you if there was a mechanism
which i've missed which could be used to perform such a query just on
your side?!

many thanks,

Eamonn Maguire

+	EMBL Outstation - Hinxton,