[bioontology-support] Ontology Abbreviations

Eamonn Maguire maguire at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 27 05:14:53 PDT 2009

Hello,

Some ontologies have no abbreviation, which i find strange since a lot
of resources are uniquely identified by their Source + the accession
for the term, e.g. CHEBI:229231 or whatever. Is there any way to
enforce this?

Also, on another point, what are you guys using to build the Ontology
trees for displaying OWL or OBO files? I am using the mindswap pellet
reasoner to perform recursive analysis of each term and it's
subsequent subclasses, but it is very slow at classifying ontologies
like OBI at times (I say at times because they are spawning off
threads in the classification code which are either not working
properly, or get locked for extended periods of time depending on time
of execution. Sometimes i can process OBI in 13 seconds, other times
it will take 177 seconds or something ridiculous like that, and
sometimes it doesn't complete at all since it runs out of memory).
Your input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Eamonn
* 	maguire at ebi.ac.uk
: 	http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~maguire