[bioontology-support] FW: TAIR autocomplete

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 23 14:38:52 PDT 2009

Nick, can you provide details on the questions below?

-Hello Trish.  I am a software developer at TAIR (http://arabidopsis.org/),
and I am working on an autocomplete service similar to the one your team has
created
(http://bioportal.bioontology.org/javascripts/widgets/form_complete.js
linked from http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/NCBO_Widgets ).  I was
impressed by how easy it was to configure and use your autocomplete service.
I have some technical questions/considerations that I'm hoping you can
answer.

Although the requirements for our autocomplete service prevent us from using
your service, I am interested in customizing the form_complete.js file that
your team provides.  The biggest technical hurdle I am facing is the "same
origin policy".  The autocomplete library that I'm familiar with
(http://script.aculo.us/) doesn't work across domains, and neither did the
jquery autocomplete plugin.  Looking at your form_complete.js file, I see it
is based on jquery, but couldn't identify where the autocomplete feature was
from.  Did your team develop that portion?  If so, how confident are you
that the service will work across all OS and browser combinations?

I was able to modify form_complete.js to pull data from the autocomplete
service I developed.  Although javascript is inherently "open source", I
wanted to let you guys know that we are considering using your javascript
file in production use.  If you have a problem with this, or if there is
something we should take into consideration before deploying, please let us
know.  Thanks.

-Tom