[bioontology-support] FW: TAIR autocomplete

Nick Griffith ngriff at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 23 14:55:40 PDT 2009

"The biggest technical hurdle I am facing is the "same origin
policy".  The autocomplete library that I'm familiar with (http://
script.aculo.us/) doesn't work across domains, and neither did the
jquery autocomplete plugin. "

To get pass this you have to use cross domain json.  Basically you
tell the server to attach attach to the json the callback function
that you want to be called when the json is read.  This callback is
then executed by the browser..

http://docs.jquery.com/Release:jQuery_1.2/Ajax#Cross-Domain_getJSON_.
28using_JSONP.29

" Did your team develop that portion?  If so, how confident are you
that the service will work across all OS and browser combinations?"
I had to modify the autocomplete library found here:
http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/jquery/autocomplete.htm
to get it to work across domains and to make it configurable

" If so, how confident are you that the service will work across all
OS and browser combinations?"
it uses the jquery library so it should work on any browser/os. If
you find one that doesnt work let me know.

On Jun 23, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Trish Whetzel wrote:

> Nick, can you provide details on the questions below?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Trish
>

> -Hello Trish.  I am a software developer at TAIR (http://
> arabidopsis.org/), and I am working on an autocomplete service
> similar to the one your team has created (http://
> bioportal.bioontology.org/javascripts/widgets/form_complete.js
> linked from http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/
> NCBO_Widgets ).  I was impressed by how easy it was to configure
> and use your autocomplete service.  I have some technical questions/
> considerations that I'm hoping you can answer.
>
> Although the requirements for our autocomplete service prevent us
> from using your service, I am interested in customizing the
> form_complete.js file that your team provides.  The biggest
> technical hurdle I am facing is the "same origin policy".  The
> autocomplete library that I'm familiar with (http://
> script.aculo.us/) doesn't work across domains, and neither did the
> jquery autocomplete plugin.  Looking at your form_complete.js file,
> I see it is based on jquery, but couldn't identify where the
> autocomplete feature was from.  Did your team develop that
> portion?  If so, how confident are you that the service will work
> across all OS and browser combinations?
>
> I was able to modify form_complete.js to pull data from the
> autocomplete service I developed.  Although javascript is
> inherently "open source", I wanted to let you guys know that we are
> considering using your javascript file in production use.  If you
> have a problem with this, or if there is something we should take
> into consideration before deploying, please let us know.  Thanks.
>
> -Tom

Nick Griffith