[bioontology-support] UMLS REST Services

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Wed May 27 12:32:14 PDT 2009

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your interest in the NCBO UMLS prototype Web services.  Below are
the instructions for accessing the services, once you have an active UMLS
code from NLM.  Note that this is still a prototype and could be down at
various times.

1) http://ncbolabs-nk2.stanford.edu:8080/ - See if this resolves to a
default page.  The page should indicate  "NetKernel Running Successfully".
If this does not work, there may be a firewall issue on your side. The
services have been accessed successfully by external parties.

2) Try accessing a basic UMLS REST Service.  When you attempt to resolve to
the following URL for the first time (e.g., try clicking on the following
URL which lists all UMLS SABs - http://ncbolabs-nk2.stanford.edu:8080/umls),
you will be presented with a HTML page with a field for you to submit your
UMLS license code. Enter your UMLS license code.

After submitting the license code, all future requests to the UMLS REST
services should work (as long as you don't clear your browser cookie).  We
are integrated with the NLM License Server that is currently in beta.  NLM
has assured us that the UMLS license codes on their beta server are all
current.

Here's another example, click on the following URL:
http://ncbolabs-nk2.stanford.edu:8080/umls/SNOMEDCT/A3577576

This URL should redirect you to a "Welcome to the National Center for
Biomedical Ontology (NCBO)!" page.  Enter your license code in the field and
then retry clicking on the URL.  I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Trish