[bioontology-support] Feedback

Jane Lomax jane at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 03:29:55 PST 2009

Hello again Natasha - the BFO developers say that their comments are
split up separately (actually, you can see this in the OWL file), but
the BioPortal merges all the comment fields together.

Perhaps it's my browser (FF on Mac) but there's no gap between the
comments at all - I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I
mean...is that how it's supposed to look?

cheers,

Jane

Jane Lomax wrote:
> Thanks Natasha - I've contacted BFO.
>
> cheers,
>
> Jane
>
> Natasha Noy wrote:
>> Dear Jane,
>>
>> Which browser are you using? I do seem to have plenty of whitespace
>> in my Safari browser.
>>
>> That sad, the problem mostly lies in the way BFO authors chose to use
>> the same property (rdfs: comment) to represent different elements of
>> the class description (mainly, comment, example, definition). As it
>> happens, those strings ("Comment:", "Examples:", "Definition") are
>> simply part of the value for that property and thus there is no way
>> for BioPortal to split those up. The ontology authors have also put
>> [snap:xxx] as part of those strings.
>>
>> You might want to bring it up with the BFO authors -- I think they
>> know there is a problem in the way they use rdfs:comment but the more
>> feedback they get from the community the more likely they are to
>> change it :)
>>
>> Natasha
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:22 AM, admin at bioontology.org wrote:
>>
>>> Name : Jane Lomax
>>>
>>> Email : jane at ebi.ac.uk
>>>
>>> Comment:
>>> Hi - for some of the ontologies in OWL format, it's very difficult
>>> to read the definition, examples and comments because they form one
>>> block of text see e.g. Basic Formal Ontology -> Site.
>>>
>>> The problem is compounded by the text containing lots of [snap:xxx]
>>> references. Presumably this is an artifact of the OWL format? Is
>>> there any way this text can be made more readable? I've resorted to
>>> pasting it into a text editor so I can add whitespace!
>>>
>>> thanks very much.

Dr Jane Lomax
GO Editorial Office
EMBL-EBI