[bioontology-support] OBO Foundry group

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:48:32 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Natasha Noy <noy at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Is there a description somewhere on what "OBO library" is?

> Our agreement with OBO Foundry has always been that the OBO Foundry site
> maintains the listing of OBO Foundry candidates -- the ones that agree to
> try and conform to the principles and remove orthogonality, etc. That site
> will not be an alternative general library site for biomedical ontologies --
> lest the user community gets confused any more than it already is. Has there
> been a change in policy?

I am unaware of such a policy.

> It seems quite confusing for users to understand the difference between
> "NCBO library" and "OBO library". With the NCBO renewal due in less than two
> months, it would be helpful to understand the difference and the position.

The OBO library consists of ontologies that are, minimally, openly
licensed and which have asked to be listed on the web site. The
current obofoundry site has pointers to ontologies and is not a
repository in the NCBO sense.

There are many things that are confusing, even if NCBO stands alone. I
have tried, in my email to you and the various lists, to point those
out and will continue to do so, though I have no illusions that all
confusions will be eliminated.

-Alan