[bioontology-support] [bioontology-info] OBO-In-OWL pragmatics

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 28 17:41:45 PDT 2009

Hi Neil,

Can you expand on how you would work with the ontology? For example,
would your work involve adding new terms specific for your needs or is
the work related to accessing and using the term to annotate data? Two
ideas that come to mind are using Web Protege (http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtege
) to edit the ontology content or the BioPortal REST web services to
access the ontology content  (http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_REST_services
). Do these options meet your needs?

Trish

On Sep 28, 2009, at 3:02 AM, Davis, Neil wrote:

> Dear bio-ontology.org,
>
> I’m currently working on a project using OBO based biomedical
> ontologies. This pretty much limits us to using the OBO-Edit tool
> which has been problematic in some cases. The idea of moving to OWL
> has some appeal in terms of greater scope of tools and using a web
> standard rather than a non-standard-standard. However I have come
> across the big problem that on a 32-bit machine the OWL version of
> the disease ontology - one of the smaller ontologies we work with -
> won’t open in a JAVA based editor because of the memory limitations
> (1.86GB if memory serves). As it appears that pretty much every OWL
> editor out there is JAVA based this somewhat limits the utility of
> the OWL translation. Do you, or anyone you know of, plan on
> addressing this and bringing out a non JAVA based editor so that the
> large biomedical ontologies can actually be opened and worked with.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Neil
>

> AstraZeneca UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and
> Wales with registered number: 03674842 and a registered office at 15
> Stanhope Gate, London W1K 1LN.
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain
> confidential, proprietary and legally privileged information. If you
> have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it
> from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or take
> any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of
> the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.
>

> Disclaimer: Email messages may be subject to delays, interception,
> non-delivery and unauthorised alterations. Therefore, information
> expressed in this message is not given or endorsed by AstraZeneca UK
> Limited unless otherwise notified by an authorised representative
> independent of this message. No contractual relationship is created
> by this message by any person unless specifically indicated by
> agreement in writing other than email.
>

> Monitoring: AstraZeneca UK Limited may monitor email traffic data
> and content for the purposes of the prevention and detection of
> crime, ensuring the security of our computer systems and checking
> compliance with our Code of Conduct and policies.

Trish Whetzel, PhD
Outreach Coordinator
Ph: 650-721-2378
whetzel at stanford.edu