[bioontology-support] Plans to use Protege 4/OWL 2 in BioPortal

Natasha Noy noy at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 30 14:45:41 PDT 2009

Not any time soon. For the moment, Protege 4 does not support a
database backend. Also, all the protege/owl specific code will need to
be re-written for Protege 4. Realistically, we are not switching to
Protege 4 in the next year.

Note that BioPortal doesn't display any OWL 2 specific ontology
structures anyway. So, one thing we can do is have some sort of pre-
processing that "dumbs down" an OWL 2 file so that it can be processed
with the OWL 1 API. Hopefully, we can use something off-the-shelf for
that.

Natasha