[bioontology-support] [bioportal-announce] BioPortal 2.5 Released

Alejandra Gonzalez Beltran a.gonzalezbeltran at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 11:37:59 PDT 2010

Dear Natasha,

Thank you very much for your reply. Please, see my answers in-line below.

On 9 August 2010 18:59, Natasha F. Noy <noy at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Dear Alejandra,
>
> We are not providing public access to the instances themselves, mostly for
> security reasons. Of course you can access all the information that we store
> in those instances through our REST services for accessing ontologies:
>
> http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/NCBO_REST_services#Services_to_access_ontologies_and_ontology_versions

I have seen that documentation on the REST services to access ontologies and
ontology versions. However, what I would like to obtain is the metadata
about a particular ontology. In other words, I would like to obtain the
information corresponding to the Ontology Metadata Vocabular (OMV) as part
of the BioPortalMetadata.owl corresponding to a particular ontology. As far
as I understand from the link you sent me, there is no service to retrieve
the ontology metadata. Or is there?

> Can I ask you why do you need the instances?

I wanted to access the instances of BioPortalMetadata.owl (or instances of
the OMV ontology) for two reasons: 1)  I would like to see examples on how
this metadata is built and follow the example to build the metadata for an
ontology I am working on, 2) I would like to be able to access the metadata
of different ontologies programmatically, allowing the user to select what
ontology is better from them.

> Also, on the error that you are getting when trying to open
> BioPortalMetadata.owl: which tool are you using? Note that the file is
> RDF/OWL 1 file.

I am using Protege 4.1. beta. Does Protege 4.1. beta only reads OWL2 files
and that is the reason of the problem?

> On the mappings: take a look at a page that we recently added to our wiki:
> http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/BioPortal_Mappings

Thank you very much for that link - I had not seen it before and it is
really useful.

Related to the mappings, I have read the wiki page [1] and your paper [2] on
the Lexical OWL Ontology Matcher (LOOM).
I am interested in using LOOM to create mappings between ontologies.

However, it seems that LOOM also works with Protege 3, as it requires the
pprj file.

Could you please let me know what version of Protege should I used for LOOM?

I guess I will not  be able to load ontologies
developed with Protege 4.1 Beta or the OWLAPI, right?

I do not think I am using any constructs corresponding only to OWL2, but if
I am, will this be a problem?

Kind regards,

Alejandra

[1] http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/LOOM
[2] Creating Mappings For Ontologies in Biomedicine: Simple Methods Work
   A. Ghazvinian, N. F. Noy, M. A. Musen
   2009 AMIA Annual Symposium, San Francisco, CA. Published in 2009

E-mail: A.GonzalezBeltran at cs.ucl.ac.uk