[bioontology-support] XSD

Eamonn Maguire eamonnmag at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:55:10 PST 2010

Hi Scott,

The underlying problem would still exist since there is always the
possibility of change in the WSDL as there is in the change of the XML
schema served out by bioportal, therefore the client code would
change. Plus, the WSDL file isn't so different to an XML schema in the
first place :)

To make things easier for anyone wishing to consume the services,
providing XSD files would be the best way to go about things. For
instance, if I had XSD now which I knew would validate against the
output from the bioportal web services, I could create a parser in 2
minutes, however now I'm using SAX Parsers and creating custom parsers
for each of the XML schemas served out by you guys...this takes longer
and there is a greater possibility of error.

I think creating XML schemas for the service is extremely important to
be honest, especially if you want to encourage quicker uptake of the
service amongst the programmatic access community :).

Eamonn Maguire
eamonnmag at gmail.com
maguire at ebi.ac.uk