[bioontology-support] Strange handling of ontology identifiers

Camille Laibe camille.laibe at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 22 10:05:20 PDT 2010

Dear BioPortal Support,

I have a question related to the handling of term identifiers in BioPortal.
If I take the example of terms from the Ontology of Physics for Biology
(OPB), you display the identifiers in the following way:
"OPB:OPB_00464". However, if I download the OWL file of the ontology,
the identifiers look like "OPB_00464".
Why did you add "OPB:" in the front of these identifiers?

I know that the OBO foundry ontologies usually have an identifier
pattern like <acronym>:<digits>, but this is not a rule (they just
recommend to have identifiers which do not carry any meaning) and it
seems to me that OPB decided to use a "_" instead of a ":" (which is
actually a pretty good idea considering the issues with ":" in OWL files).

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

--
Camille Laibe
BioModels.net Coordinator