Search Mailing List Archives

Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[bioontology-support] inconsistent issues between BioPortal and MeSH

Eugene eugene at
Fri Oct 15 22:15:13 PDT 2010


Your screen shot shows the children of "carcinoma, experimental". But the context information for that screen shot is probably under "disease" branch. Certainly, in that disease branch, BioPortal is matched with UMLS. However, if we look at the children of "carcinoma, experimental" under "analytical .. technique" branch in UMLS, we find that BioPortal is not matched with UMLS.

Enclosed is the screen shot that I have captured from UMLS. The screen shot explains what I said above. Context 1 is for "analytical.. technique" branch. Context 2 is for disease branch. The children of "carcinoma, experimental" are different under different context.

The screen shots attached in my previous email were captured from BioPortal (1st screen shot) and MeSH portal (2nd screen shot). Both were under "Analytical... technique" root concept, but the children of  "carcinoma, experimental" are different between BipoPortal and MeSH portal.


From: Nigam Shah [nigam at]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 9:58 PM
To: Eugene
Cc: support at
Subject: Re: inconsistent issues between BioPortal and MeSH

Hi Eugene,

UMLS has the relations exactly the same way we have them. See attached screen shot from UMLSKS as of tonight. Where is the screenshot you provided from? Natasha and I will discuss this further Monday, but right now, we show exactly what the UMLSKS is showing.


On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Eugene <eugene at<mailto:eugene at>> wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

Yesterday I have posted an inconsistency issue. Today we just found another similar issue described in the following after we download the ontology from BioPortal. There is inconsistency between BioPortal and official MeSH and UMLS portal.

In the following, those circled terms are diseases, but they are put under Technique/Procedure ontology.

[cid:image003.png at 01CB6C5C.8E65FA30]

I have checked MeSH and UMLS portals. The actual children of “Nepolasms, Experimental” is shown in the following:

[cid:image002.png at 01CB6C5B.AA395960]

Could you evaluate and fix if that’s a bug?

Please let us know what you want to do for this issue and yesterday’s (I posted similar issue yesterday).



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image003.png
Type: image/png
Size: 24153 bytes
Desc: image003.png
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image002.png
Type: image/png
Size: 18590 bytes
Desc: image002.png
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: UMLS.bmp
Type: image/bmp
Size: 435846 bytes
Desc: UMLS.bmp
URL: <>

More information about the bioontology-support mailing list