[bioontology-support] looking for the right BioPortal version

Immanuel Normann normann at uni-bremen.de
Wed Sep 8 04:23:39 PDT 2010

Dear BioPortal support team,

We have installed an instance of BioPortal to store ontologies for our
own project: http://ontologies.informatik.uni-bremen.de

Unfortunately, the BioPortal revision we have taken (revision 1875,
path /tags/1014) turned out to be buggy. We considered to upgrade to
BioPortal 2.5, but deferred that for three reason: 1) the content
migration seems to be not that straightforward (according to a mail by
Paul Alexander) and thus currently to risky for us. 2) The REST API has
changed in BioPortal 2.5, but our partners rely on the REST API of our
current BioPortal. 3) Our main developer, Slava, who takes care for the
BioPortal installation figured out that some (for us fundamental) bug
apparently hasn't been fixed in the latest version: RESTful DELETE and
PUT does not work.

Slava says that to fix this bug is very easy and so he did it on a local
installation. But there are some other bugs that we haven't yet
identified. We came to the decision that the best solution for us is to
check out the stablest BioPortal revision that is still close enough to
our current revision (1875, /tags/1014) so that we do not need to
migrate content and that uses still the same REST API.

Our problem is that we cannot figure out from the revision logs which
revision satisfies our needs. Appearently, it is even unclear to figure
out to what release a certain revision belongs.

We would be very grateful for any clarification!

Thanks in advance,
Immanuel Normann