[bioontology-support] Obsolete terms showing and not indicated as obsolete

Peter E. Midford peteremidford at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 08:27:43 PDT 2010

Hi,
      I was playing around with a different tool that offered me the obsolete term TTO:species.  Out of curiosity, I checked whether the term still existed in the TTO as rendered on the Bioportal.  It is there, even though the term was obsoleted several months back and the TTO version on the portal is current.  The only indication that the term might not be available is that it lacks an is_a parent, but that situation is common in some ontologies, so it wouldn't indicate anything amiss with using the term.  It wasn't clear to me that the visualization tool even had a filter for obsolete terms.

I hope that this can be addressed, either as a future enhancement, or, if there is a reason for displaying obsoleted terms, with an explanation.

Thanks,

Peter
--
Peter Midford