[bioontology-support] bioportal server error

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:17:53 PDT 2011

Rakesh,

Unfortunately there isn’t a paper describing the existing architecture.
Apparently no one is excited about writing one since we are planning to
replace it. Below is a short description of where we are and where we are
going. The end-state diagram is attached.

Currently the lowest levels of storage for all information in BioPortal,
other than mappings, are a number of MySQL databases. These are not
publically queriable. On top of these for various features are LexEVS,
Protégé, and some custom NCBO layers for annotation and resource index.
These are all in Java. There is also a Java layer that conceals the
distinctions between LexEVS and Protégé. Above this is the REST API layer.
This is the only publically available layer. The UI calls this layer
exclusively. This layer is available for external users to use
programmatically.

Mappings are currently handled differently. Mappings have been ported to use
a triple-store (as a sort of experiment) but this triple-store is not
publically queriable (yet).  There is a public triple-store prototype for an
old set of ontologies but this is not maintained and there is no assurance
that the production triple store implementation of BioPortal will look like
this triple-store.

Our long term plan is to replace many of the MySQL databases with a
triple-store. This includes all of the ontology storage pieces. This
triple-store will be publically queriable with SPARQL.  There will also be a
REST API.

I am unwilling to commit publically to a date for when this work will be
complete. We will begin working on it though within the next few months. It
is a big effort. When we gain more experience we will be better able to
estimate the effort.

Ray