[bioontology-support] REST query with a slash in the search string

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 8 10:38:04 PST 2011

Hi Marco,

The issue is not with the "/" character. We worked with the Rat Genome Database folks and their Rat Strain Ontology has a lot of interesting characters that we tested the search with so strings like "DA.F344-Aia1/1" can be used with the Search, url-encoded of course. E.g. http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/?query=DA.F344-Aia1%2F1&apikey={YourAPIKey}. At best I can see right now is that there might be a problem with the search within subtree.

Trish

PS - I don't think the Search call takes the param "level"

On Dec 8, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Marco Brandizi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry if the following question has already been asked, I cannot find a reference to this. Bioportal REST seems to fail when it gets a string with a slash character in it, for instance this:
>
> http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/Mutant+%2F+Wild+type+comparison_design/?maxnumhits=10000000&apikey=<my-key>&level=1&includeproperties=0&isexactmatch=1&ontologyids=1136&subtreerootconceptid=efo%3AEFO_0003740
>
> which I'm trying to use to see if there is 'Mutant / Wild type comparison_design' under the tree rooted at EFO_0003740, instead tells me a 404/Not Found, which I interpret as the inability to recognise that the %2F (note it's escaped) is part of the search string.
>
> Is there any massaging/escaping/etc I can do to the input to make it working?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --

> Marco Brandizi, PhD<brandizi at ebi.ac.uk>
>
> Microarray Group - Sr Software Engineer