[bioontology-support] required support for relations and axioms

Michel Dumontier michel.dumontier at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 08:01:13 PDT 2011

Hi,
   I'm registered my OWL ontology with BioPortal so that it becomes
available to my current users and also to potential users. However,
BioPortal does not address major attributes of OWL ontologies including:

1) support for object and data properties and their axioms (e.g. including
the view of relation hierarchy)
2) support for class axioms
3) support for individuals and their axioms

Both 1) and 2) are essential for the success of projects that make use of
SIO (principly Bio2RDF and SADI-framework projects). 3) is going to become
an important element in the future. Thus as it currently stands, BioPortal
is inadequate for, and perhaps also is unfairly compared against other
terminological sources (SIO's strength is the abilty to create formal
expressions).

So, I would like to know what steps BioPortal is taking to address the
concerns in 1-3.

Thanks!

m.

--