[bioontology-support] Using BioPortal to access portions (not whole subtrees) of ontologies... spanning from concept to concept by relations other than is-a

Andrew J. Buckler (BBMSC) andrew.buckler at bbmsc.com
Thu Jun 16 17:30:53 PDT 2011

Hello,
I am working with collaborators at Stanford (as per copy) on a project using Ruby on Rails.  We hope to interface to BioPortal for access to FMA, GO, Snomed, and Radlex. We call these "linked ontologies" in the sense that they are accessed via a "master" ontology called the Quantitative Imaging Biomarker Ontology where most of the value is in the relations, though the is-a hierarchy is also important.  The use case we are working to implement in Rails, expressed as pseudo-code, is as follows:

1.       We start a term from the Quantitative Imaging Biomarker Ontology, which is stored in BioPortal.

2.       Perform a query to determine its relations, or stated differently, the relations having this term in their Domain.

3.       For each such Relation:

a.    Perform a query to determine what terms are in the Range of the given Relation.

b.    Prompt the user to select from among the terms (by providing them a pick list).

c.    If the selected term has children in the is-a hierarchy, we allow the user either to stop at the term or traverse down the is-a hierarchy at their discretion.

d.    If the term is identified as being searchable in another ontology (i.e., instead of being fleshed out in QIBO), provide the pick list from that ontology (including the ability to select from among the children as desired).

                                          i.    Store a "triple" with the  term of step 1, the relation at step 3, and the selected term of this step (regardless of how deep in the is-a hierarchy they went to select it).

e.    Else, for the selected term in the QIBO we recurse starting again at step 1 above (which has the effect of navigating the ontology using the relations identified in it to enumerate a sequence of terms for disparate concepts but through the links, and for each term allowing as deep or shallow into the respective is-a hierarchies as desired by the user).

Thus, we don't desire a full hierarchy when we make the query, rather we just need the "short list" of relations for which this term is in the domain (at step 2); the set of terms in the domain for this relation (at step 3a); and the set of terms (only) one-level deeper in the is-a hierarchy (at step 3c).

We wish to pull this data dynamically from the ontology at run-time.

This algorithm would build a dynamic display - and a database to match it - according to the structure identified by following the relations.

Do you still think we can do this using the link below?  It seems hard to us.

Thank you,
Andy