[bioontology-support] [ncbo-annotator-users] 500 errors from the Annotator service

Benjamin Good ben.mcgee.good at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 11:32:03 PDT 2011

Hi Ray,

I had failures last night and this morning.

The client source code that accesses the service can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/genewiki/source/browse/java/Miner/src/org/gnf/ncbo/web/AnnotatorClient.java

If you want me to make you an executable for testing let me know.  (That
code isn't really ready for primetime).. Since the problem was also observed
by some one running a c# client I hope its not a problem with my
implementation.

If I repeatedly run the main method in that class (or execute the request
from other resources that depend on it) sometimes it works and sometimes it
doesn't (responding with a 500).  I'm sending pretty small chunks of text
(typically less than a sentence) at irregular intervals.  If it fails, I
wait 2 seconds and try it again.  If it fails 10 times the client quits.
 That retry loop was sufficient to overcome similar behavior prior to this
update for tens of thousands of requests sent right after each other.

params:

params.put("isVirtualOntologyId", "true");

params.put("rqnum", "0");

params.put("textToAnnotate", text2annotate);

params.put("filterNumber", "true");

params.put("minTermSize", "3");

params.put("withSynonyms", "false");

params.put("longestOnly", "true");

params.put("wholeWordOnly", "true");

params.put("stopWords", "protein, gene");

params.put("withDefaultStopWords", "true");

params.put("scored", "true");

params.put("mappingTypes", "null");

ontologiesToKeepInResult (virtual ids for GO, DO, FMA, PRO, OMIM)

Let me know if thats enough to get you going.  If not I will try to code
something that consistently reproduces your error (difficult because, from
my end, there is significant randomness on the server side).

thanks
-Ben