[bioontology-support] AERO - rdfs:label display and file update

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:30:40 PDT 2011

> I was looking at the AERO page in BioPortal, and I can now see multiple uploads, which I don't believe reflect any action from me, including one "UNKNOWN" - see pic below.
> Can you check what happened?

We are investigating this.

> I was also looking at annotations:
> - I was wondering why the label for the annotation property IAO_0000115 was "Definitions" instead of "definition" (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/iao/ontology-metadata.owl)

Properties that are specified on the ontology submission form in the "Ontology Format" block are displayed with a consistent label across all ontologies in BioPortal and is why the text "Definitions" is displayed vs. the label of the specified definition property. There is a feature request to make this more understandable when viewing your ontology via the BioPortal Web interface.

> - as you can see in the second picture, the other iIAO annotation properties don't show their labels, but their IDs. Any idea why?

The property "protege:defaultLanguage" with value "en" needs to be set on the Metadata tab in order to have these properties be displayed with their label.  I believe this is a "development artifact" based on the process we (i.e. me, you, OBI, etc.) used when adding IDs instead of labels in the URI and following the Protege documentation on "Hiding IDs with Labels" that stated that the terms should have the language property specified. I'll check into this further to see if there are updates to this documentation and if Protege 4 still requires this same process.

> - finally, I was browsing MedDRA, and I was wondering if it would be possible to add a link towards a definition of the annotation properties. See last picture. I am not sure what "Par" means (parent?) nor "Rq", or semantic type, or Synonym Lt. I suspect Tui is a term unique identifier? I think adding link to annotation properties definitions (if they are available) would be very helpful. I know that IAO properties have such a definition, do you think that could be implemented easily?

There is a feature request to display more meaningful property names for MedDRA, SNOMED, and other ontologies loaded from the RRF representation format.