[bioontology-support] AERO - rdfs:label display and file update

Melanie Courtot mcourtot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:53:25 PDT 2011

Hi Trish,

On 22-Mar-11, at 3:30 PM, Trish Whetzel wrote:

>> I was looking at the AERO page in BioPortal, and I can now see
>> multiple uploads, which I don't believe reflect any action from me,
>> including one "UNKNOWN" - see pic below.
>> Can you check what happened?
>
> We are investigating this.
>
>> I was also looking at annotations:
>> - I was wondering why the label for the annotation property
>> IAO_0000115 was "Definitions" instead of "definition" (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/iao/ontology-metadata.owl
>> )
>
> Properties that are specified on the ontology submission form in the
> "Ontology Format" block are displayed with a consistent label across
> all ontologies in BioPortal and is why the text "Definitions" is
> displayed vs. the label of the specified definition property. There
> is a feature request to make this more understandable when viewing
> your ontology via the BioPortal Web interface.

I didn't understand that, sorry. I attach a picture of the ontology
information I submitted below. As you can see from the definition
property I did ask to use IAO_0000115 (even though it doesn't show
here because the input text is too short) Could you tell me where else
are those properties specified?
If I look at other ontologies using IAO_000015 for their definition
property (IAO, OGMS) they correctly display the label as "Definition".

>> - as you can see in the second picture, the other IAO annotation
>> properties don't show their labels, but their IDs. Any idea why?
>
> The property "protege:defaultLanguage" with value "en" needs to be
> set on the Metadata tab in order to have these properties be
> displayed with their label.  I believe this is a "development
> artifact" based on the process we (i.e. me, you, OBI, etc.) used
> when adding IDs instead of labels in the URI and following the
> Protege documentation on "Hiding IDs with Labels" that stated that
> the terms should have the language property specified. I'll check
> into this further to see if there are updates to this documentation
> and if Protege 4 still requires this same process.

I am not sure I am following you either, sorry :( If I browse IAO on
BioPortal (http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/40642/?conceptid=obo%3AIAO_0000030
) I get the correct labels display. However in my file which imports
IAO I don't get them. Shouldn't that indicate that IAO is ok with
respect to enabling label display?

Regarding the defaultLanguage property this is, as far as I know,
specific to P3. I am now using P4 for development and didn't need to
set this.

>> - finally, I was browsing MedDRA, and I was wondering if it would
>> be possible to add a link towards a definition of the annotation
>> properties. See last picture. I am not sure what "Par" means
>> (parent?) nor "Rq", or semantic type, or Synonym Lt. I suspect Tui
>> is a term unique identifier? I think adding link to annotation
>> properties definitions (if they are available) would be very
>> helpful. I know that IAO properties have such a definition, do you
>> think that could be implemented easily?
>
> There is a feature request to display more meaningful property names
> for MedDRA, SNOMED, and other ontologies loaded from the RRF
> representation format.

Thanks, that would be very useful. Are you planning to make those
property links clickable, and available for all metadata scheme? For
example, if I click on "Editor note" I would get the definition etc of
that IAO property too?

Best,
Melanie