[bioontology-support] NCBO Virtual Appliance request

Dag Endresen (GBIF) dendresen at gbif.org
Thu Oct 27 06:51:09 PDT 2011

 Dear BioOntology Support,

 I would like to request access to the virtual machine image with the
 NCBO BioPortal as mentioned on this mailing list earlier in the week
 [1]. I am working with a project to establish a platform for Knowledge
 Organization Systems for the biodiversity information community. We plan
 to explore using an instance of the BioPortal for the Global
 Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF, www.gbif.org) and the
 Biodiversity Information Standards (TDWG, www.tdwg.org) communities. We
 wish to explore using the BioPortal platform as a home for the TDWG
 Ontology [2] and the GBIF Vocabularies [3] as presented with a symposium
 at the TDWG conference last week [4][5].

 I have tried to download the BioPortal source code from your code
 repository [6][7], but I seem to get into problems with the SQL
 statements in the installation procedure. There seems to be a problem
 with different versions of the MySQL server - and I did not yet take the
 time to explore this further. If I can start with a pre-configured
 virtual machine would be marvelous!

 I am using Virtual Box and also have some limited experience with using
 the VMWare Player. However I believe that the VMWare virtual machines
 generally open fine with Virtual Box.

 Links:
 [1]
 http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Category:NCBO_Virtual_Appliance
 [2] http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-ontology/
 [3] http://vocabularies.gbif.org/
 [4] https://mbgserv18.mobot.org/ocs/index.php/tdwg/2011/paper/view/162
 [5] http://www.slideshare.net/DagEndresen/gbif-vocabularies-tdwg-2011
 [6] https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/bioportal_core/
 [7] https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/bioportalui/

 Best regards
 Dag
 ---
 Dag Endresen, PhD
 Knowledge Systems Engineer
 Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)