[bioontology-support] BAO 1.6

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 17 00:57:55 PDT 2012

Stephan,

As Trish indicates there is no simple solution that always works. For OWL
1 ontologies the ontology should appear in BioPortal as it does in the
latest Protégé 3.8.x. If it does not, then please report this as a bug.
For OWL 2 ontologies we do some preprocessing to make it show up so you
cannot really tell how it is going to look in BioPortal without loading
it. The staging environment can be used if necessary but we discourage
this because the environment is often taken down without notice. Also
ontologies submitted to staging may disappear without notice at any time.
Staging is a possibility though if you are aware of these limitations.
Another possibility is to submit the ontology as private. Then only you
will see it. You can make it public when you decide that it looks good.

Also as Trish indicates, in the coming year we will be changing the way
ontologies are stored. When complete, the ontology hierarchy in BioPortal
should look as it does in Protégé 4 since we will be using the same OWL
library that Protégé 4 uses.

Sorry that this is so complicated. I hope that one of these solutions will
work for you. We do not have the resources to setup and maintain another
system just for this purpose.

Ray