[bioontology-support] Annotator query

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 12 09:45:36 PST 2012

Hi Eamonn,

I am not aware of any parameters that can be altered with the Annotator to get a match based on the scenario below. The dictionary that the Annotator uses is based on the preferred names and synonyms of ontology terms and there has to be an exact match in the input text to the dictionary term to return a match .. good for speed of annotation but does not handle term variations in the matching step unless the variation is included in the ontology itself.

Last I talked with the developers of the entity recognizer that the Annotator uses, called Mgrep, they have developed some methods to account for term permutations and there was an interest to collect use cases to test further. I have included Fan Meng in this response in case this is of interest to pursue further.

Best,
Trish