[bioontology-support] [ISAtools] RE: Annotator query

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 13 10:56:11 PST 2012

Susanna,

I think that my example text was too short to get the idea across.  Here
is the situation. The ontology contains two distinct concepts (1)
"treatment" and (2) "compound treatment design". For the purposes of this
discussion, assume that neither term has any synonyms. The user passes in
to the Annotator some free text such as:

"The patient was given a compound treatment: first we did treatment X and
then we did treatment Y".

The question which the Annotator is trying to answer is which concepts
from the ontology are present in this free text. The current answer, and I
believe the correct answer, is that the concept "treatment" appears three
times and the concept "compound treatment design" does not appear at all.
The Annotator only does a string comparison to extract concept names and
synonyms and the string "compound treatment design" does not appear in the
text. The annotator is not doing a "starts with" match. It is an exact
match only.

The only way that the free text above is going to produce an annotator
match to the "compound treatment design" concept is for this concept to
have  a synonym that appears exactly in the free text.

Ray