[bioontology-support] Ontology identifiers, API key

Paul R Alexander palexander at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:09:30 PST 2012

Pradnya,

>  1. I see that some of the bioportal REST web services need ontology
>     id and some need ontology version id as parameter depending on
>     what they serve. I am using my own instance of bioportal  and as
>     far as I understand when we upload a new ontology, both these
>     identifiers are generated by bioportal and we cannot edit them.

Correct, these identifiers are generated. However, you can use the
acronym as a consistent identifier.

>  2. How to enable API key on bioportal VM image? With the VM image we
>     have presently, I can access the REST web services without
>     providing any API key, so I believe I will have to enable the API
>     key protection explicitly.

These cannot be enabled or disabled as it is a fundamental change to the
NCBO codebase. If you're running an older NCBO Virtual Appliance image
then you will not have them while the newer ones do.

Paul R Alexander
Web / UI Developer
NCBO BioPortal