[bioontology-support] Semantic Type When Mapping to a Restricted Ontology Set

Sam Stewart samstewart11 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:50:29 PDT 2012

Hello list,

I'm new to the Annotator list, so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I'm exploring using the Annotator to map to just MeSH terms, and I'm
having trouble with the semantic types.  When I restrict my mapping to
just the terms from MeSH (ontologiesToKeepInResult=1351) then all of
the semantic types for my mappings are T999 - NCBO BioPortal concept.
If I remove the restriction then I get the right concepts.

I'd like to be able to restrict my mapping to just MeSH, but I'd also
like to eliminate a number of semantic types that aren't pertinent to
my subject.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

The best example I can come up with is using the web portal:
http://rest.bioontology.org/test_oba.html

set ontologiesToKeepInResult to 1351
set isVirtualOntologyID to true
enter the following text: Melanoma is a malignant tumor of melanocytes
which are found predominantly in but also in the bowel and the eye

Check the xml output, and then process.  The resulting mappings all
have T999 as their semantic type.  If you remove the 1351 ontology
restriction and let it map to all the ontologies then it gets the
semantic types right.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sam

--