[bioontology-support] FMA ontology

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 15 09:24:18 PDT 2012

Another way to check for what properties an ontology is using in BioPortal for the preferred name and synonym is the Web service call "Get latest version of an ontology id" [1] in the XML attributes <synonymSlot> and <preferredNameSlot>. E.g. for FMA: http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/virtual/ontology/1053?apikey=YourAPIKey

Trish

[1] http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/NCBO_REST_services#Get_latest_version_of_an_ontology_id

On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:09 AM, Natasha Noy wrote:

> Sina,
>
> It's better to load the OWL version, available from the FMA web site [1]. THe property for preferred name is rdf:Label and the synonym property is Synonym.
>
> Natasha
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/fma-in-owl/downloads/detail?name=fma.owl
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Madani,Sina wrote:
>
>> Should I process FMA ontology, in our local appliance instance, as Protege format or OWL? The download file from NCBO (V.3.1) contains a pprj file while on the info page it is mentioned "Format: OWL". If the later is true should I use fma:synonym and fma: definition for the related property slots?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Sina

Trish Whetzel, PhD
Outreach Coordinator