[bioontology-support] Unable to use Bioportal search to find OBO term ids

Kanjamala, Pradip P. Kanjamala.Pradip at mayo.edu
Wed May 2 08:25:36 PDT 2012

I am trying to use the Bioportal rest service to search for OBO term ids
without success. For example searching for GO:0000001 returns no match.

The rest call is:

http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/?query=GO%3A0000001&apikey=
24e050ca-54e0-11e0-9d7b-005056aa3316

I get similar results using the BioPortal search UI.

The reason I believe the search is failing is because the default Lucene
analyzer being used by BioPortal is treating the : as a word separator.
The solution we have had to use in LexEVS's lucene implementation is to
use a custom analyzer that doesn't treat the : as a word separator.

Since the colon is an integral part of the term ID in all OBO
ontologies, I believe we should have a way to search for them in
BioPortal's search implementation.