[bioontology-support] Support request for the Cardiovascular Research Grid project

Paul R Alexander palexander at stanford.edu
Mon May 7 11:44:01 PDT 2012

Unfortunately, we don't support loading ontologies from a Protege
database. You can attempt to swap a Protege database back-end table with
the one used in BioPortal, but it's not a straightforward process.
However, if you want to give it a shot, you would need to:

 1. Submit a dummy ontology file with all of the information for the
    real ontology. This file should be something small that will parse
    properly
 2. Parse the dummy ontology
 3. Find the version number for the dummy ontology
 4. Go to the database on the Virtual Appliance and find the table that
    corresponds to the dummy version in the 'bioportal_protege' database
 5. Note the table name (should be something like 'tbl_10000') and
    delete the table
 6. Import your parsed version of the real ontology and rename the
    imported table to match the old dummy table name (ex: 'tbl_10000')
 7. Using the BioPortal Admin tool: 1) calculate metrics and 2) index
    the ontology

Give that a shot and let me know if you run into problems.

Paul R Alexander
Web / UI Developer
NCBO BioPortal