[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Barry Smith

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Tue May 29 20:02:49 PDT 2012

The apparent duplicate entries in lines 1 and 2 of the search results are because each of these terms have a their own unique identifier and are two separate terms. The entry from the ontology named LOINC is from a view or subset of the UMLS ontology named Logical Observation Identifier Names and Codes. The Search UI is being revised and the fact that one of the results below is from a View should be indicated more clearly.

The abbreviation for ontologies is also used in the URIs for terms from these ontologies and therefore I would not change the abbreviation from LNC to LOINC since LNC is the Source Abbreviation from UMLS. However, for display purposes it does make sense to display LOINC in the Web interface and add a display label to the ontology metadata. I believe Mark has requested this change.

Trish