[bioontology-support] BioPortal sparql

Nikolina Koleva nikolina.koleva19 at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 28 15:06:05 PST 2012

Dear all,

I am experimenting with the BioPortal SPARQL. I want to extract the root path of a given concept in a given ontology.

In the paper:
Manuel Salvadores, Matthew Horridge, Paul Alexander, Ray W. Fergerson, Mark A. Musen and Natasha F. Noy, Using SPARQL to Query BioPortal Ontologies and Metadata, in Proceedings of the 11th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2012), Boston, US, November, 2012.

Figure 4 shows a SPARQL query that must retrieve two ancestors of a given element. The results are also shown there.

When executing the query in the web interface I get no results (see attachment).
The query that I am running is:

PREFIX skos: <http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos#>

SELECT DISTINCT ?ss0 ?nstep ?label{
{ GRAPH <http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT> {
        <http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/122040007> rdfs:subClassOf ?ss1 .
        ?ss1 rdfs:subClassOf ?ss0 .
        ?ss0 skos:prefLabel ?label
        BIND ('2' AS ?nstep) .
     } }
     UNION { GRAPH <http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT> {
        <http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/122040007> rdfs:subClassOf ?ss0 .
        ?ss0 skos:prefLabel ?label.
        BIND ('1' AS ?nstep) .
     } }
 } ORDER BY ?nstep

I tried it with another term that also has two parents (363664003) and it hadn't work, too.
Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Best,
Nikolina