[bioontology-support] Newbie question on annotator

Pieter Sheth-Voss pieter at provenanalytics.com
Wed Apr 10 07:04:08 PDT 2013

Beginning user of the Bioportal annotator [
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator].  I entered the following text,
and attempted to annotate this using SNOMEDCT ontology:

"35 yo male with severe acne vulgaris and hla-b27-positive inflammatory
arthritis.  Acne not responding to clindamycin or doxycycline.  Currently
on Arava and Indocin for the arthritis."

However, it matched only "acne" and "current".

Whereas I would have expected it to also identify "male", "acne vulgaris",
"inflammatory arthritis", "clindamycin", "doxycycline", as these are also
terms in SnoMed-CT, and picked up by other annotation engines like cTakes.

Might there be something that I am doing wrong?

All the best,
Pieter

Pieter Sheth-Voss, PhD
m. 617 645 4524