[bioontology-support] search concept definitions

Lee M Surprenant lmsurpre at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 22 12:28:38 PDT 2013

I was browsing the REST API and I do not see this function.  Here is why I
think it would be useful:

I am trying to find the best match for my concept "History and Physical"
from within the NCI Thesaurus.

I make the following REST call:
http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/?query=Physical&ontologyids=1032&subtreerootconceptid=C16203&includedefinitions=true&maxnumhits=15&apikey=YourApiKey

I get back a single answer with a decent match:
<conceptId>http://ncicb.nci.nih.gov/xml/owl/EVS/Thesaurus.owl#C20989
</conceptId>
<conceptIdShort>C20989</conceptIdShort>
<preferredName>Physical Examination</preferredName>
<contents>Physical</contents>
<definition>A systemic evaluation of the body and it's functions using
visual inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation. The purpose is
to determine the presence or absence of physical signs of disease or
abnormality for an individual's health assessment.</definition>

But it's missing the 'History' part, so I browse the Ontology manually and
find:

 Preferred    Review of Systems
 Name
 (Preferred_N
 ame)

 Synonyms     ROS
 (FULL_SYN)

 Definitions  A comprehensive assessment of a patient, which includes a
 (DEFINITION) subjective history taking component as well as an objective
              based structured interview and physical examination of all
              the body systems.

 ID           C95618

Now, I'm not necessarilly saying that ROS is a "better" match, but it would
be nice for it to show up on the search results.  Any thoughts?

thanks,

Lee Surprenant
IBM Emerging Technologies | jStart Team
lmsurpre at us.ibm.com | (919) 543-8919