[bioontology-support] don't use subtree search with maxnumhits

Lee M Surprenant lmsurpre at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 28 07:35:55 PDT 2013

I was trying to use the REST API to search chemo regimen in NCI Thesaurus
by setting the subtreeconceptid to the Chemotherapy Regimen term (C62634).

When I searched for ATRA, I was shocked that there were no hits:

http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/?query=ATRA&ontologyids=1032&subtreerootconceptid=C62634&includeproperties=1&includedefinitions=true&maxnumhits=15&apikey=YourKeyHere
0 Hits!

Upon investigation, it turns out that setting maxnumhits was the issue.
Maybe it is doing the subtree filter AFTER taking the top 15 hits?!

http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/search/?query=ATRA&ontologyids=1032&subtreerootconceptid=C62634&includeproperties=1&includedefinitions=true&apikey=YourKeyHere
90 Hits!

Could you please confirm my understanding?  Is it the intended behavior?

thanks,

Lee Surprenant
IBM Emerging Technologies | jStart Team
lmsurpre at us.ibm.com | (919) 543-8919