[bioontology-support] Question about top-classes in EP

Erik Fäßler erik.faessler at uni-jena.de
Sun Dec 1 08:01:49 PST 2013

Dear Bioontology-team,

I have a question regarding the top or root classes of the Cardiac Electrophysiology Ontology (EP). I downloaded the ontology’s classes via the BioPortal 4.0 API and observed quite a lot of classes being subclass-of owl:Thing or not having a subclass-of relation at all (966 in my count). I.e. these should be the roots of the subclass-of tree. However, most of the classes seem not to be defined or referenced in the ontology OWL file. Additionally, in the web-frontend for the ontology (http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/EP/?p=classes) only significantly less classes are shown. I noticed that you can look for additional top-classes downloaded via the API through the “Jump to” search field (example: “relative alternation”) but you won’t be shown the term in the left-side tree.

I am wondering in which way these classes actually belong to the ontology and how is determined which classes are shown in the web-frontend in the tree and which are not.

I hope you can help me seeing somewhat clearer :-)

Best regards,

Erik