[bioontology-support] Internet server error when downloading ontology classes

Erik Fäßler erik.faessler at uni-jena.de
Thu Dec 19 00:29:25 PST 2013

Dear Bioontology-Team,

I have an issue with several ontologies when I try to download all their classes using the BioPortal 4.0 API.
What happens is that I am able to download a portion of the ontology, i.e. all pages up to a particular point. Then, I get the error message “Internal server error”.

The Ontology “VANDF” is one example for this problem. I try to download its classes using the following parameters:

include=prefLabel,synonym,definition,parents,deprecated,notation,semanticType,cui,xref&pagesize=500&no_context=true&no_links=true

I get the “Internal server error” message consistently after I have successfully downloaded page 26 of 63. I tried multiple times but I never get page no. 27.

I wonder wether I did something wrong or if the ontology is actually not meant for download or if there really is an error on the server side. As I said, I have this issue with other ontologies as well.

Thank you and best regards,

Erik