[bioontology-support] Visualization tab

Eric Verbeek eric.l.verbeek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:34:51 PST 2013

Hi Erick, Sina, and Paul,

I was hoping that someone else had an idea and had shared it already, as
I don't have experience with the virtual appliance. Maybe I can come up
with something. Sorry for this delay, Erick and Sina.

Sina, you were directed to revert to using the older Flex based
visualization. That version of the visualization predates me by a little
over 2 years, and I have no experience in Flex/Flash development. Paul
said that the reason Sina needed to revert to the Flex visualization was
to allow because the older visualization was set up to access the same
data source URL as used in the virtual appliance, wheras the current
version accesses the public servers for data. The current Java & JS
based visualization uses different REST calls that work across different
domains, whereas the Flex version uses REST calls that must resolve to
the same domain that the application is served out of, if I understand
this as applied to Flash.

1) Paul and Erick, so that you can use the Java/JS (rather than
Flex/Flash) version of the visualization, is there a way we can think of
to tell the JS ajax calls to go to the VM appliance local machine URL?
What cue or tip would there be that we are running in the virtual appliance?

2) Or would it be possible to set up a redirection at a different layer
so that calls to bioportla REST are redirected to the local machine?
Something like seen here:
http://superuser.com/questions/222810/how-to-redirect-a-url-to-a-local-file
. The REST URLs start like so:
"http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ajax/jsonp". There may be calls to
"http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ajax/jsonp" as well, if accessing an
older version. Perhaps the sysadmin could help out with this possible
solution.

3) If we cannot redirect the new version of the visualization within the
appliance, I'm not sure about this problem. It probably has to do wit
the REST calls counting as cross-domain when access http:vm-ncboportal,
but counting as within domain for the IP based URL. Looking back, Sina
emailed a screenshot with an error that mentions the crossdomain.xml. I
have re-attached that here. Those are different URLs than you mention
below. You could try creating/editing your crossdomain.xml file at the
server with the IP specified in any error you see that matches the
screenshot error. Your sysadmin should be able to help with this, and
perhaps adding URLs that result in cross domain errors to the
crossdomain.xml file.

Again, I apologize for not offering advice earlier. I was not sure, and
didn't want to clutter the thread with bad advice. Let's keep going and
try to figure out this problem.

Cheers,
~Eric